[a 3-week summer online program; Thursdays starting 6/30 @ 7:30 pm EST / 4:30 PST]
Workshop Description: Delving into the lived experiences of participants, this workshop will introduce photo-voice research methods for composing poetic works. Using photography as means to consider narrative time, perspective, and spatiality, we will also examine photographic aspects of lyricism. Participants will also be encouraged to explore multimodal possibilities for conducting, archiving, and publishing generated works. The express focus of the workshop, however, will be in the production of new writing drawing from the wealth of participants’ experiences with photography at all levels.
Steven Alvarez is the author of The Codex Mojaodicus, winner of the Fence Modern Poets Prize. A sequel, Manhatitlán, is forthcoming from the Operating System in 2021. He has also authored the novels in verse The Pocho Codex and The Xicano Genome, both published by Editorial Paroxismo, and the chapbooks, Tonalamatl, El Segundo’s Dream Notes (Letter [r] Press), Un/documented, Kentucky (winner of the Rusty Toque Chapbook Prize), and Six Poems from the Codex Mojaodicus (winner of the Seven Kitchens Press Rane Arroyo Poetry Prize). His work has appeared in the Best Experimental Writing, Anomaly, Asymptote, Berkeley Poetry Review, Fence, MAKE, The Offing, and Waxwing. Follow Steven on Instagram @stevenpaulalvarez and Twitter @chastitellez.
ALL ACCESS PRICING MODEL / PAY WHAT YOU CAN / COMPARISON COSTS:
Liminal Lab is committed to providing a source of income for our collaborators and facilitators in an increasingly precarious time for culture workers and educators. However, no one will ever be turned away for lack of funds. We ask that those who can pay the suggested price, and/or help cover the cost of scholarship slots in each of our programs by sponsoring other participants.
- Compare the below to the cost for a similar accredited workshop in a university setting (where most of the $$$ goes to institutional bloat): $850 — we show you this so we can begin to think about wtf is happening in our institutions, where both students and faculty get the short end of the stick.
- At a standard “Market Rate,” at arts orgs: $250*
- Recommended Sliding Scale: $30-50/session → $90-150 for the series
- Precarity Pricing: $10-20/session
- Barter / Volunteer / No Cost Option Available
- Membership / Sponsorship: You may now become a member of Liminal Lab! Which allows you to support as well as participate in this and other programs. By becoming a member, you can also sponsor low or no fee participants in this workshop with a donation of any size.
Did you know? you can click here to become a member, or
to make a donation to support low and no cost participation in our programs for others!